Thursday, September 9, 2010

Such great heights

Well, since I left you last I was getting ready for a marvelous adventure to Cinque Terre.  I got up at the butt crack of dawn to take the 7:27 train to Monterosso - the Northern-most city of Cinque Terre.  I met my new friends Tad, Erin, and Aurora at the station and we started our adventure.  I couldn't believe how perky we were at such an early hour!  We had a few train switches, but we got there at about 10 in the morning.  The beach was already hopping and water was crystalline Mediterranean blue!  (haha - because it is the Mediterranean...)  We swam in the sea enjoying the big waves and the remarkable buoyancy - I have never swum in salt water prior to this.  After about 2 hours of swimming we went in search of a place to eat lunch.  We found a nice place right on the water that had fantastic panini and vino.  There we celebrated Aurora's birthday - I would give anything to celebrate my birthday here!  We had some wonderful gelato before we started our 4 mile hike to the next town, Vernazza.  I have to admit I was a bit of a slave-driver and I feel a little bad because I really pushed everyone beyond their limit!  Haha.  But the views were absolutely incredible!  If you have ever been to the Pictured Rocks in the U.P. it is comparable to that, but much higher and warmer and almost tropical.  It took my breath away on multiple occasions.  The photo above is one of many of the incredible views.  It was a truly wonderful day!

On Tuesday this week I went to see Michelangelo's David at the Galleria dell'Accademia.  And let me tell you!  He is SO incredible in person!  More majestic and miraculous than I ever imagined he would be.  He is ultimate perfection and so much more amazing than pictures can ever do justice.  When I entered that room, my heart skipped a beat and I immediately started crying.  He is captivating.  Michelangelo was a genius.  I can only hope that one day I can do work as wonderful and as moving as his.  I had never noticed before that David has his sling over his back and rocks in his right hand.  Such an amazing experience.  I will definitely be going back to see him again.

Then yesterday, me and my friends went to Il Duomo to go on the terrace to see the sights.  The views of the city from there are incredible, however I much more prefer the view from San Miniato.  This weekend, we head to Siena to see it and then go to a Chianti Wine Festival!  Should be fun!  Until next time...Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment